Sunday, July 16, 2017

Executive Desk turned Mobile Art Desk

So...mom called up and said, "I am putting this big heavy desk down by the road so if you want it, come get it!"  The problem with this HUGE, HEAVY executive desk is even though it took 3 people to get it in my mom's house, they couldn't get it out.  They tried... so, dad broke out the saw and cut it in half to get it out of the house.  The desk she gave me was much like this one.  The drawers were a little different, but other than that, it looked just like this one.  So, hubby and I jumped in the truck and off we went!
Indeed, it was cut in half, which was fine because I had my own plans for this monstrosity!  First things first... What was I to do with this thing?  Art desk!  I needed an art desk in my new art studio!  (Yup, all kids have moved out and I now have extra bedrooms to what I want with.. and I wanted an art studio.)  So... I knew I wanted it mobile because I could move it around the room and the drawers were perfect.  I needed a top and some wheels, so off to the hardware store we went!


So... I told hubby how big to cut it and so he did... I sanded it, we measured and measured again before attaching the top.  Because the wheels made it higher, to be sure it was sturdy (per hubby, I always load down everything so it has to be reinforced for my use) he attached 2x4s to the edges and then attached the wheels.  I wanted a shelf on the bottom so he attached more plywood for the bottom shelf.  You just THOUGHT it was heavy before!  LOL!


I painted it yellow (although it doesn't look all that yellow in this pic) and I did a dry brush on the entire piece except the top.  I actually coated the top a solid yellow.  I was happy!  I had a HUGE work space, 


And of course, it was just too plain!  So, I head to Pinterest for a little inspiration and found this awesome looking chair!  


Doesn't look exactly like it, but good enough!


I love to blend my colors and had such fun painting this!  I think that it turned out great!


So proud of myself! So much storage in this thing and best of all... it rolls around the room!  


Scored a huge box of these colorful awesome ceramic knobs on eBay and that was it!  


Okay... well, there is a downside to this story.  In my efforts to have a huge art desk and a big space to create, I failed to measure the most important thing... the doors!  LOL!  So... I won't be sawing anything in half!  I purposely did not fill in the screw holes with wood putty because if we decide to move, we will have to take it apart to get it out of the room!  Well, live and learn!  :-)  Still love my desk though!  It's totally awesome!

Project date: April 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment