Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Shabby Chic China Cabinet

Mom found this beautiful china cabinet and immediately I wanted to get my hands on this thing and shabby chic it up!  The front has glass on it, not a mirror, although it does look like a mirror.
 The back of it was really messed up so I decided to just cut a new piece of wood for the back.
First thing, sand it.  So, I used my electric sander to knock off the sheen so the paint would stick to it.  Then primer.  I just used a basic white primer.
Once I let the primer dry for a couple of hours, I started the process of painting it.  I used a seafoam green color to paint it with.
 After applying the green, I mixed the green with some water and used a sponge to rub off some of the paint for the shabby look.  Other spots I used a light grit sand paper, but I was really going for a light/dark look for this piece.
After I got the look that I wanted, I applied my favorite sealer, which darkened it a bit just like I envisioned.

After I sealed it, my mom and I headed to our favorite store, Hobby Lobby, and found this really pretty designed fabric.  We came back home, hubby cut the wood to replace the back for me and I sprayed a glue adhesive to the wood and had mom help me stretch it across the back.  I let that dry for a few hours and then attached it to the back of the china cabinet.  Done!
Here is the finished product!  I just love this shabby chic look.  I want to do my whole house like this.  One day... maybe... if I ever get the time to do it.  :-)

 photo Untitled-2-1.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment