Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Cottage Style Hutch Redo

This little hutch has been in and through our entire family.  It started out at my mom's and was there for years until I acquired it.  Then I passed it to my brother and eventually it ended up back at my mom's.  This hutch has done more traveling than Gulliver!  When my mom and I opened our little "Simply MarValUs" booth at The Blue Moon, this was one of the first things that we brought down there.  Well, we have moved to the front of the building from the back, and then over to a window unit since we opened... and this little hutch has been traveling all the way.  My mom and I decided that it needed a facelift so we took it to the house and started working on it.  

Hutch before
So... we loaded it up and took it to the house.  My papa took it apart for us and I started painting it.  The back of it needed a little something more, so we found this pretty burlap material and I put it on the back of the panels with some modge podge.
I watered it down, and I think I watered it down too much and didn't get all the fabric so some of it bubbled up, so make sure when you coat it, you do it well.  I did this on the back of my husband's truck at night... probably shouldn't have done that... but it all worked out.
I let it dry over night and then took it back to mom's and after 2 long and quite irritating hours, we manage to get it back together and more secure than it was before.  :-)  And... here is the finished product!
So much brighter and so much more lovely than before.  We even have a table that matches it and I took the extra material and made some table settings for the table that matches the hutch.

So, 4 coats of white laytex later on each piece, some crafty craftin' on the table settings, we have a beautiful cottage style/farm style hutch and dinette set.  
 photo Untitled-2-1.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment